Sunday, April 6, 2008

Imagine you are in a development office for a medium size city with a staff of less than ten people. Now imagine a state-wide development office located right next door with around 50 employees. Now imagine the city police commissioner sending 40 of his most qualified troops to support your development effort, meanwhile the state law enforcement office takes over the primary task of economic development in the state development office.

Welcome to the "Civilian surge" - minus the civilians...Last week we finalized our agreement with our new partner in crime - Task Force Ramadi. This is a curious bunch of 0-5s and 0-6s (approximately 50 of them) who's main task is taking over the management and daily operations of Camp Ramadi in the wake of First Brigade's departure. They hold down the fort until RCT1 (Regimental Combat Team One) of the First Marines Expeditionary Force (1st MEF) is ready to assume these responsibilities.

For the ePRT, this means my economic team went from one (me) to four! This has actually been a very welcomed event for me, however, others are a little put off by the pure numbers. My only concern is that when they leave in September, the volume of projects may exceed my capacity for adequate monitoring and follow-up...

5 comments:

KrisWill&Kids said...

Ok I hope that wasn't suppose to make any sense to me (the blonde) as it didn't. lol, I hope all is well for you. We are all doing just fine in ND'ville! Missing you and continued prayers.

Kris and Fam

Anonymous said...

Hi Cip,

Wartburg sent your e mail about your new job through the student e mail. Sandie Chapin sent it to me and a little research with a search engine and I found your blog (journal). Quite an undertaking you have got there. I have been reading Micheal Totten's web articles. Keep safe. You are in my prayers.

Arlo

Anonymous said...

Hi Arlo!

So wonderful of you to visit our little blog! (For those who don't know Arlo, we did our Diaconal Summer school together in Gettysburg.) Hi Sandie - I'm sure you've found this site as well! Hope all is going well for both of you. Can't believe graduation is right around the corner again. Had hoped to use it as an excuse to return to Dubuque this spring, however, something had to be done about that lack-of-income thing. All of the development positions in the Dakota's paid at or below the federal poverty rate for a family of five, so Dawn and I decided to let the family stay in Towner, ND while I got my second choice for employment! My first was to lead the Center of Entrepreneurship and Rural Revitalization for Dickinson State University (in Dickinson, ND), but after leading me on for a few months, they decided to hire someone from out of State (probably for no other reason than to show they could). So the City of Ramadi in Anbar Province (Iraq) made me an offer I couldn't refuse - "Help rebuild our City!"
Again, hope you all are well and point others to this site for updates and stimulating conversation! Cip

Arlo said...

Hey Cip,

Some questions??? Are you living on a base? What is your first project? And what are you finding to be your biggest drawbacks?

And most important.....does this immense sounding project quaify as an offical, soon to be consecrated call?

I wrangling with the local Synod to get my work qualified as a "call".

Do you need anything from this part of the world?

Keep safe!
Arlo

jungberg said...

Yes, I'm safely tucked in with the Marines here at Camp Ramadi about 100 km from Baghdad. Our biggest project at present is to recapitalize a microloan ($3,000 @ 12% for 1yr) program. To date they have had no late payments on over 300 loans.
I'm not sure if the Synod will buyin to this call, however, I can't imagine a more important place to be doing what I do. I thought I'd wait until the new bishop got settled in before I hit them with final approval, etc.
As far as needs go, we have everything we NEED supplied by Dept of State or the military, HOWEVER I have made some new friends who enjoy a cigar once a week (first general order comming into the theater is NO ALCOHOL so this is our vice), and I have no way to repay them. If you can think of something that would even the score, I would be very grateful...Thank you for thinking of me and send up a prayer or two for when I get back and attempt to make all this official in the eyes of the Church...Cip